Friday, February 15, 2013

Hand-Me-Downs

PB had a sweet, sweet grandmother who we called "Ma."  She was a good Christian lady who loved everyone she came in contact with.  This past October she passed away.  She left behind a legacy of love to all who knew her.  Our girl says that she someday hopes to be the kind of grandmother that Ma was to all of us.  I think that is pretty much the best compliment ever!   I hope to be that kind of grandmother, too, someday.

PB's dad and uncle have had the task of cleaning out Ma's home and get it ready to sell.  It has been filled with all of Ma's Earthly treasures for over 60 years!  Nowadays, it seems odd to hear of someone living in one place for so long but I guess that is the way it was for her generation.  As they were cleaning out everything and sorting through all of her things, we were able to inherit two pieces of her furniture.  I love   things that have meaning behind them in our home and now I can say that I have two of Ma's special pieces.  PB's grandfather, Pa, even built one of them.  I love that!


This is the cabinet Pa built!  

This piece sat in Ma's hallway and her telephone sat on top of it along with her phone book and address book.  It was filled with all kinds of books and mementos from Ma and Pa's past.  It even has a pen holder built right into the top.  For now, I have placed it in our little sitting room that sits between our dining room and kitchen.  It fits perfectly on this little space of wall.   


The other piece that we were given is a little metal cabinet that sat in Ma's kitchen.  It held her microwave oven on top and she used the inside as a little pantry.  It now sits proudly in the corner of our kitchen.



I love having Ma's hand-me-downs and hope that maybe some day one of the children might want to have them in their home as well.  These two pieces are sweet reminders of Ma in our home.

Do you have any family hand-me-downs that are extra special to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment